The central focus of the open-air museum is a small Low German two-post house, the tenant farm, built in 1653 by Dieter Olvers, removed in 1980 from its original position in Kahlenweide here in Winsen and rebuilt in 1982 as the first museum building.
The house is typically north German in style, a dwelling with living areas for people and animals as well as space to store the harvest all under one roof. It was described as a “smoke house” as until the 19th century there was no chimney. Sausages, ham and sides of pork were smoked over the fire. The smoke escaped through a hole in the gable end of the building called an “owl hole”.