The Kalandhof was built in 1781 by Hans Christian Lohmann and his wife Catarina Maria Kohnen. The farm took its name from the catholic “Kaland Brothers”, an association of catholic priests and laymen who leased out the farm from the 15th century through to the Reformation times. After this group was disbanded the town of Celle took it over until in 1873 the farm became the property of the then leaseholder Lohmann.
We are rebuilding something devastated and consumed by fire. Thus we will once again enjoy God’s goodness in the new house.
Hans Christian Lohmann – Catarina Maria Köhnen
In the year of our Lord 1781
This inscription, with its imperfect spelling – at this time only a few artisans and farmers could read and write – which stands over the „Big Door“ of the two-post farmhouse, explains that the half-timbered house was rebuilt after a fire in 1781. A good two hundred years later the Winsen Museum Association moved this house, which had lain empty for decades and was threatening to fall into total disrepair, from its original location “In den Dämmen” to the Museum complex, supported by funding from the European Union and the Department for Employment.
The Kalandhof in Winsen was a very simple farm. These smaller farms often had less land than the larger farms yet were liable to pay higher rent to the land owner.
This farm is the only one in Winsen owned by the Kaland Brothers. This association grew from around 1300 onwards in Lower Germany. Their meetings took place on the “Kalend” – the first day of the month – hence their name.